25 May 2013

{Memories}..

I am posting late this evening. I apologize. I spent the day with my dear friends (from high school)...a little retail therapy, a wonderful dinner, and a ton of laughter. Celebrating my girl G's birthday! In a way...I suppose all the pictures I took this evening count towards today's challenge... after all, we spent the entire day making memories and reliving old ones. But...I had something else in mind...
I am a hoarder of memories. I file them away in nooks and crannies...in albums and scrapbooks and frames and baskets. I leave random pieces of myself and others everywhere I go...in every corner of every room and every building. I can't always say the people in photographs are known to me...or that the memories are my own. But the memories are REAL...and they are personal...and they are familiar....and they make us who we are. My heritage and lineage is a proud one...a strong one...an honorable one.

Day 25: Memories: Old photographs of my ancestors. I carry my Great Grandmother's name (also my Grandmother's middle name)...that's both of them in one of those photos. My Norwegian roots...my viking spirit...my gypsy soul. All contained in some old paper and lace. I never got a chance to know my Greats...but I hear they were some pretty amazing folks. They raised some amazing people...and blood is a good indicator, in my humble opinion.



It's probably the photographer in me that is drawn to old photographs the way I am. Or maybe it's the old photographs that drew me into photography....but either way, I can't help but feel wistful at the joy and beauty in a black and white photo of people you don't know...but love anyway. And I have to say...moments like this make me miss my Grandmother....and her kitchen table.

Sitting in quiet reflection and prayer this evening for those loved and lost, those still blessing me everyday, and those whose hearts are burdened and heavy. And keeping my thoughts with the reason we celebrate this weekend.

See you tomorrow.
Peace and Love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment